An unknown African American woman (center), almost certainly enslaved, with the family of Professor Edward C. Boynton in 1860.
The servants’ quarters at Rowan Oak were built on a foundation from the 1840s.
The UM Center for Archeological Research hosts a public archeology day at Rowan Oak to educate the public about the ongoing excavation of slave quarters dating to the antebellum era.
Preservationist and Activist Joseph McGill of the Slave Dwelling Project by the detached kitchen at Rowan Oak in 2016.
Archaeology students conduct fieldwork at Rowan Oak.
The Lyceum, shortly after it was built in 1848.
Lafayette County Chancery Clerk Sherry Wall assists archaeology students with deed research.
A rendering of campus in 1861.